Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Petty Pedi Vent....I'm funny ;)

First before I get into my vent of the day.  I'm feeling better, but my ears are still slightly  clogged.  Thanks for all your good wishes :)  

SO Little Lion turned 2 a few weeks ago.  I took him to his 2 year wellness appointment which is where we found out about his ear infection which I blogged about already.  However, I forgot to tell you how irritated I got at the Pediatrician aka Pedi!!!!  At the appointment, Pedi was all concerned that Little Lion weighed only 26 lbs when he's been on the curve for above average in weight.  I was thinking ummmm he's sick and not eating, surely he's skinnier than usual.  So she is asking what I feed him and if he drinks milk.  I tell her and say he drinks Silk Soy Milk.  Pedi gets a horrified look on her face and asks which one.  I tell her the Vanilla.  Here's our conversation.

Me:  Vanilla
Pedi: Um That's all sugar!
Me:  Really???  I didn't think it had that much sugar.
Pedi:  You really need to try regular milk or start mixing it with the regular Silk.
Me:  I really didn't think it is that bad.  LL doesn't do well on regular milk.
Pedi:  All you're doing is giving him sugar with the Vanilla Silk!  I'm really concerned about his food/sugar intake.  
Me:  (guilt starts creeping up) Oh.

I was really feeling guilty that all I was doing was giving him sugar and no nutrition.  When I got home I checked the amount of sugar in the Vanilla Silk....7%.  That's not bad!!!!  I check the 2% milk we have...12%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

YOU'RE TELLING ME TO GIVE HIM SOMETHING WITH MORE SUGAR AND MAKING ME FEEL GUILTY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  

Ugh I was soooo irritated with the Pedi.  And because I'm a little obsessive, I even checked out the Silk products at the grocery store.  The Plain Silk milk in the red box (which she told me to mix) was 6%.....ohhhh that'd make a difference with the 7% Vanilla in the blue box.  I also looked at the Very Vanilla Silk Milk in the purple box which LL has NEVER had.  That one had 16% sugar....OK I can understand you freaking out about that one, but come on get your facts straight and NOT MAKE ME FEEL GUILTY FOR NO REASON!!!!

We went back yesterday to recheck his ears.  All clear!!!  And LL gain 1.5 lbs in 2 weeks.  UMMM I think he's feeling better :)  I also asked for my records which will be sent to a new Pedi who is informed and is supportive of my parenting decisions.  

No comments: