Tuesday, August 5, 2008

ICAKE 3.6

Today is Mr. E's birthday.  Since we are budgeting...ok spending more money on my birthday instead....such a great husband ;)  I had the brain idea that I will overcompensate by making a fancy cake for him.  I thought I did a great job on Little Lion's first bday cake, so hey I could do it again.  Right?!  Well Mr. E is a computer guy and LOVES Mac Computers.  We have 2 in our house as well as ipods, shuffles, appletv, and various other stuff.  So I thought hmmm I'll make the Apple logo.  I went on a search for info on how to make it without screwing up horribly.  So here are my step by step pictures.  

First I found the apple logo and printed it in the biggest size I could.  

Next I baked the *BOX* cake in a sheet pan following the directions ;)  I let it cool 5 mins and then flipped it onto a cake plate.   I cut out the logo and placed it on top of the cake. 

After letting the cake cool in the fridge for 30 mins.  I took a serrated knife and followed the pattern outline and removed the excess cake.


I then did the "crumb layer" of frosting which is where you put a thin layer of frosting on to catch the crumbs.  This way your final frosting will be pretty without red spots ;)
I put the cake back in the fridge for 45 mins for a final cool down and let this frosting set.  I took it out and thickly frosted it and cleaned up the excess crumbs on the plate.  
And of course, you need to decorate it a bit.  Mr. E is 36 today hence the 3.6.  I think I'm pretty creative :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. E!!!  I LOVE YOU BUNCHES!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed!

Anonymous said...

ps. Happy Birthday Edju!

Anonymous said...

Have you been getting cake tips from Mrs. Cohen???? It looks good!