Friday, February 6, 2009

Just call me Dr.Robyn

WARNING LONG BLOG WITH A LITTLE VENTING BELOW ;O)

My lovely husband scheduled surgery for yesterday on his nose.  He has been having issues with breathing for as long as I have known him and he snores!!!  Mr. E had his tonsils and adenoids taken out many years ago, but it didn't help the situation.  Since he works at a hospital, he found a great ENT who told him she could help him breath.  Whoo Who!  

After a month of scheduling conflicts and 2 CAT scans on his head, they finally decided on yesterday to do the surgery....notice I didn't tell you what surgery he was getting.  Because he didn't really know just that the ENT would take care of it and clean out all the snot (sorry tmi).  This is what happens when the wife doesn't go to the appointments with him.  He tells me that it'll be 45-60 mins and an out patient surgery.  Ok great the inlaws could watch Little Lion since we should be home around 11-12 ish.  

Here's how our day went.

6:00 up at the crack of dawn

6:45 Drop LL off at inlaws

7:30 We arrive at hospital.Mr. E's surgery was scheduled for 9:00. We get checked in and find out that the Dr.'s 8am surgery got cancelled, and they moved Mr. E up. Great I thought we'd be home by 11 for sure. I'd be able to take a nap when LL and Mr. E.

8:15 Mr. E goes into surgery. I meet with the Dr. and tell her I'll come check back in 45 mins. She says 45 mins???? I scheduled the surgery for 2-2.5 hours since I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done until I get up there. OK.....2-2.5 hours is not going to get me home by noon!!!!!!! Now I know this sounds selfish, but really I was concerned for LL. Remember these are the inlaws who just got home from India with knee replacement and LL hasn't seen in over a month. Plus LL hasn't ever slept at their house and he's not the greatest of sleepers. I had visions of him screaming crazy over tired until we got there.

11:00 The Dr. finally comes to see me.  She tells me she fixed his deviated septum, cleaned out his sinus cavity.  She put a splint in both sinus cavities and packed them with gauze.  He had scar tissue build up from his adenoids being removed.  

11:45 Mr. E finally gets to recovery and I can finally see him. (remember I thought I'd be going home by now) 

12:30 Mr. E is in major pain with a migraine headache.  The nurses decide to give him 2 percoset on an empty stomach!

1:00 Mr. E is now nauseous.   Nope not going home any time soon.

1:30 Mr. E decides to eat.  Wow the headache goes away.....amazing how that works since he hadn't eaten since the night before!!!! He still needs to pee before being discharged.  Does he have to go?? NO!!  The wait continues.  I have to call the inlaws and tell them to put LL down for a nap because we aren't going to be home any time soon.  

3:00 Mr. E is feeling ready to pee. Whoo Who!  So he proceeds to go to the bathroom comes back and sits down.  He then starts to get light headed and almost passes out!!!! Back to the cot he goes.  

3:30 I finally go get a Coke and a bag of chips (nutritious lunch huh?)

4:00 They start the discharge process again, but this time they do it very slow getting him up a little at a time.

4:45 We are finally out the door!!!!!

5:15 I drop Mr. E off at home and go get LL.  LL did fine and slept ok over there.  Luckily I sent enough food and supplies that he was good to go.  

5:45 LL and I go to Publix to get soft foods since Mr. E can't eat hard foods and drop off his prescription.  Publix checks to see if they have the antibiotic and the Percoset.  Yup they have both.  So LL and I go shop.  We get back to the pharmacy.  The rude pharmacist informs me that they don't have enough Percoset and it's an all or nothing and I should bring it to Walgreens.  FINE!  OH yeah the antibiotic isn't ready yet either!  I decide to go to Walgreens and drop off the Percoset prescription and then go back to Publix.  I get to Walgreens and they inform me that the Dr prescribed an amount that didn't exist for Percoset and she'd need to call the dr in the morning.  FINE!!!  Amazing how the Publix people never mentioned that!!!  Back to Publix we went to get the antibiotic.

7:30  Finally home!!!!  Now I have to make dinner for all of us.  

Lesson learned : Always go with your husband when he is scheduling something important.

Mr. E is feeling good today and didn't even need the Percoset...thank goodness.  I am recouping from my long day yesterday while taking care of my TWO children.  Mr. E can't lift anything over 10 lbs or bend over.  Plus he has a constant bloody nose which I get to change the gauze out of every couple of hours.  Dr. Robyn at your service!  Don't forget the complaining about how he can't breath out his nose....duh you got a lot of stuff up there and gauze covering it :)  I told him Valentine's Day better be great :)  

No comments: