Saturday, October 9, 2010

Our Favorite Things

Sorry another craft;o) I promise once Flower Power comes, I won't be blogging about crafting :) My mother-in-law's birthday was last week. She is a crafty person and really into Stampn' It Up. I thought she'd enjoy a craft and find out what we are going to name FP. My sister-in-law is pregnant as well and we incorporated that idea into it as well. I found on howdoesshe.com this cute craft with 2x4s.
I decided to make the same thing, but instead of My Favorite Things, I would use Our Grandkids and put all the grandkids pictures including the new babies' ultrasound pictures.

Supplies...2 pieces of scrapbook paper, a 2x4 long enough for all your blocks, stain, glue, ribbon, and wire

Here is my scrapbook paper I used for attempt 1 ;) You'll see on the end product, I decided to use a darker color. I didn't like the light paper with the cherry stain. We got the 2x4 for 50 cents from the scrap wood at Home Depot!!!



Howdoesshe used a cricut and vinyl to put the names on the scrapbook paper, but I'm not that fancy. Instead I just printed the names out on the scrapbook paper and cut them using my paper cutter. I knew I was cutting the wood with the bottom piece being 8 inches, the next 7 inches, next 6 inches, and continued this pattern. So I used illustrator to set up make trim marks and sized the names to fit each block of wood. I also made them an inch smaller than the block size in order to see the wood.

The lovely Mr.E cut the wood for me. I don't do table saws :) Here's an idea of what the blocks will look like.


Mr.E also stained the the wood blocks for me too :) I shouldn't breath the fumes...that's what I told him :) haha It is for HIS mother :)


I originally was going to use spray adhesive to attach the names, but WOW it made a mess and I had it all over the place! I just used good ole Elmer's Glue to glue on the names. You can also use Modge Podge, but I didn't have that on hand. I did use a sponge brush to put it on evenly.


I got the drill out and the smallest bit that was the size of the wire I was going to use for the picture holder which I also bought at Home Depot. I put a hole in each block on alternating blocks and the middle for the top piece. Notice I changed the paper:)


I took the wire and wrapped one end around needle nose pliers to make the holder for the picture. I also glued the wires in with super glue. And I put a bow around it to hold the blocks together since they are NOT glued together. Here is the finished product :) I love it!!!

If you want better directions check out howdoesshe.com :) Happy Crafting!!!

No comments: