Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Child Is Gifted!!!

Yes really :) I'm not even saying that because I'm his Mom :) Little Lion didn't talk until he was 3! However, when he started talking, he went from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds! I think he was taking it all in until he had it down. LL has since become obsessed with letters, reading, and spelling. We don't force it on him. He enjoys it.

He started with asking what a word said when we were reading books at bedtime. Then Mr.E, being the proud Dad that he is, thought LL knew how to read when he recited Brown Bear,Brown Bear What Do You See to him. I informed him nicely that LL memorized the book :) But Mr.E said that he was into what he read and continued with the fun (learning). When LL would take a bath, Mr.E would use bath chalk to write words on the bathtub. We started with the important words, his name, mom, and dad. These were also discussed at school. Well LL wanted more and more words. The bathtub became covered with words. When we said the words, we spell it and say it to help with letter recognition. What happened because of it was that LL started reading and spelling these words!!! He's gotten good at spelling and amazes me daily with the words he spells to me!

Yesterday, we were out for a walk and we saw some ducks. LL started talking to the ducks and yelling "Duck, D-U-C-K, talk to me!" haha The biggest word that shocked me was when he spelled Challenger! As in the space shuttle that blew up. LL really likes to watch shuttle launches on Youtube and must have picked up that word! I certainly didn't teach him!!

I thought I needed to document that he can spell because when he is older and has kids, he'll never believe me ;) So here he is spelling for you. You'll have to turn the volume up all the way to hear him.

I love how he self corrects himself when he spelled our last name wrong ;) I had more words, but the video was too big to send to myself from my phone. His list of words he can spell and read are mom, dad, cat, dog, duck, fish, the, at, rat, hat, hot, bat, max, ruby, house, pop, one, two, shuttle, challenger, and a variety of family names. Of course he is 3 and will only spell for you when he is in the mood :) haha My genius or great memorizer!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a smartie! This just brings tears to my eyes! Jennifer

Regina said...

Jayden loves watching this video! Will you make more and send them to us? :o)