Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day Craft

Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful Dads in my life!

My wonderful husband is a great father with Little Lion! He is playful, loving, and dedicated to LL! It makes my heart swell when I watch them together and am anxious to see the same bond with the new baby!

Every year for Father's Day, I/LL make something for Dad/Grandpa to keep on their desk. LL's first year, I took pictures of him in a baseball outfit with Mr.E's autographed bat and ball. The next year, LL was walking all over. So I took pictures of him outside with just a diaper and Dad's tie on. Last year, I bought baseballs and LL put his handprint around the ball like he was throwing it.

This year, I decided to get fancy ;) My lovely friend D posted on her blog a while back how she made silhouette pictures of her kids. They turned out beautiful! I thought I could follow the directions, and would make 3 for Mr.E and the Grandpas. And for you blogger friends, my directions ;)

Step 1....the hardest step....take a good profile picture! I took about 14 pictures trying to get LL to look straight ahead. He is so used to me making him look at the camera and say cheese ;) Here is the picture I ended up using.
Step 2...Print the picture on cardstock. I printed it 5x7. I wanted to be able to see the details of his face clearly and it made it easier to cut out.
Step 3....Carefully cut out the head. I took my time and was careful to not cut off his nose or lips. It was actually helpful to have picture of the face against a light background because I could see if there was white around the head.
Step 4....Paint the adorable face. I went to W*lmart...YUCK....and bought cheap acrylic black paint and sponge brushes for a whooping $2. I flipped the picture over because I liked it facing that way and I didn't want to actually paint LL's face black ;) LL helped me paint the faces. Let me just share that black paint and toddlers is MESSY :)


Step 5....Buy picture frames to suit your taste. I wanted to buy 8x10 oval frames. I searched high and low, and the only place that sold them was JoAnns. However, JoAnns only had 2 frames and I needed 3. After asking for help to see if there was more which there wasn't the salesMAN said it was girly and old fashioned for the silhouette. So he recommended a more contemporary frame which is 5x7, and cheaper ;)You'll see it in a few steps :)

Step 6....Use spray adhesive to glue the picture to a white background to fit your picture. I used cardstock for the background that I cut to fit the frame.
Step 7....After letting the glue dry, I put the picture in the frame and TaDaaa!! A silhouette picture of your precious child in manly frame!


Mr.E has already put his on his desk. I'm sure the Grandpas will love them too!

2 comments:

Dena said...

Great job!

Liz said...

I love this idea!! Bravo!